The Community Projects Advisory Committee (CPAC) has been established to be the conduit between the Federal Member for Herbert, the Townsville business sector and the community to assist in identifying and evaluating opportunities that are present within the Townsville region towards which funding may now be applied.
The CPAC will draw on established project lists, canvass other potential opportunities, and test and develop recommendations as to preferred options.
The responsibilities of CPAC are to:
- Provide advice regarding business and economic condition;
- Consolidate a project list and provide strategic comment on project opportunities for Townsville;
- Recommend strategies to test, evaluate and facilitate key projects;
- Establish an agreed position on strategic issues to inform proponents and relevant working groups;
- Identify other potential strategic links between stakeholders to allow liaison with government and Industry and community groups where required.
The CPAC has no statutory role and is advisory only to soundly test and evaluate project potential. It will draw on its experience and knowledge to provide guidance and will provide advice to the relevant decision-making authority regarding potential and planned projects in the Townsville region, as well as other matters relating to economic development opportunities.
It will do so through the lens of the Townsville City Deal which provides a framework in which to deliver.
The Townsville City Deal has a clear Vision, underpinned by six areas of focus:
- Capital of North Queensland
- Innovative and Connected City
- Port City
- Industry Powerhouse for the North
- Defence Hub
- Enabling Infrastructure
The CPAC will be further guided by Principles that seek projects that are:
- supported by a sound business case
- are achievable and deliverable in a timely manner
- permit leverage and are catalytic in attracting private investment, jobs and growth.
The Townsville City Deal established a 15-year commitment between all levels of Government for collective planning, reform, and investment in Townsville to position it as a vibrant, liveable and innovative City.
Specific objectives of the Deal are to:
- revitalise development, particularly in the City and Waterfront PDA
- activate industry and export growth
- support long term growth of local business
- enhance liveability
- improve planning, co-ordination and governance.
If you have not already done so, you can submit your proposal inclusive of a business case to the committee via [email protected].
For further information please contact the Office of Phillip Thompson OAM MP, Member for Herbert on (07) 47252066 or via [email protected].