Townsville ex-service organisations share in $71,000 to help veterans
Ex-service organisations and veteran groups in Townsville have received a funding boost to help support veterans and their families.
Member for Herbert Phillip Thompson said the more than $71,000 in funding was part of the Building Excellence in Support and Training (BEST) grants program.
“Townsville is our nation’s last garrison city so it is incredibly important that our ESOs are well-supported to help look after our veteran community,” he said.
“This funding goes to a range of essential support measures including advocacy services to assists with claims, entitlements and other services.
“We are spoilt for choice here when it comes to the support and help that’s available in our city and I don’t want to see that change.”
Five local organisations received funding as part of the latest round of the program including:
- Returned & Services League Of Australia (Queensland Branch) Townsville Sub Branch – $23,854.75
- The Oasis Townsville Limited – $7,705.15
- Totally and Permanently Disabled Ex Servicepersons Association (Townsville) Inc. – $24,124.00
- Townsville Sub-Branch Vietnam Veterans Association of Australia Inc. – $1,662.97
- Vietnam Veterans’ Federation Townsville Inc. – $14,305.10
More information on BEST grants visit the grants page on the Department of Veterans’ Affairs website at www.dva.gov.au/grants.